Back with Shorty…it’s been a week!
A little insight as to the steps from the beginning to the end of the lesson.
First, call the horses to the fence, or walk to get them from a neighbor’s pasture.
Second, get some treats for Shorty…..and Tonto……and Ollie.
Third, put the halter on Shorty.
Fourth, walk over to our favorite tree, secure Shorty with a knot, and brush him…three different stages.
Fifth, get the blanket and saddle.
Sixth, saddle up.
Seventh, slip the halter down Shorty’s neck a little and put the bridle on. After that, we take the halter off.
If Shorty needs it I will walk him around a while to loosen his girth.
This lesson I was to learn to rein Shorty. We had the round pen to ourselves!To tell the truth, I was trying to figure out what he was used to. Whether it was one-handed light reining, or something else. The only thing that worked, not consistently, was holding the loop reins with my right hand, and if I needed him to turn I would outstretch that side with that hand and cluck my tongue while I did it. But I didn’t get to that point until close to the end of the lesson. I am having a hard time keeping him in a straight line, which is something I need to work on with him. We are learning together.
I can get him to walk from a dead stop. Which is handy. As far as stopping, I can get him to stop but, he starts walking when he wants to. So, I need to work on not letting him start without my go ahead.
Shorty likes to stop at the gate, thinking maybe we can stop now. But, I cluck my tongue and turn him into the pen again.
We do a lot of walking in circles, and attempting more figure 8s, some work, some don’t. We just have to be consistent, and now that I’ve figured out that I have the steering wheel, I have to drive correctly. That is what I am learning. To do it right every time. I know that Shorty might not always feel like it, because horses have not so great days like the rest of us, but we can make baby steps every time we are together. And that is what I look forward to every week. Being with Shorty...
... My third main man.
Photos courtesy of Simple Journeys Photography
Clarksville, Texas

Hang in there-pretty soon it will be a piece of cake. Sounds like he is testing you a little. I think each rider has his or her own relationship with a horse--sounds like yours is off to a good start! I'm looking forward to hearing about the two of you progressing!
ReplyDelete